Re: The argument for fs assistance in handling archives

From: Helge Hafting
Date: Mon Sep 06 2004 - 08:23:43 EST

Horst von Brand wrote:

Helge Hafting <helge.hafting@xxxxxxx> said:

[...]

The only new thing needed is the ability for something to be both
file and directory at the same time.

Then why have files and directories in the first place?

Some tools will need
a update - usually only because they blindly assume that a directory
isn't a file too, or that a file can't be a directory too. Remove the
mistaken assumption and things will work because the underlying system
calls (chdir or open) _will_ work.

But with some weird restrictions: No moving stuff around between files, no

I see no need for such a weird restriction. If it is "weird", why have it?
If someone want to move stuff from one subdirectory to another, let them.
I see no need to stop that just because a file-as-directory was involved.

linking, some "files" can't be deleted (how would you handle removing the

linking is a problem of course. We can't have hardlinks to directories,
so no hardlinks to file-as-dir either unless the general problems with
directory links are solved.

principal stream of a file?).

A design decision. Removing the principal stream may delete
the entire tree. Or it may delete the principal stream only,
turning that file-as-dir back into a plain directory.

Some stuff you'd love to do (is, in fact, the
reason for this all) just can't be allowed (i.e., J. Random Luser setting
his own icon for system-wide emacs). So the tools/scripts/users/sysadmins
will have to be painfully aware that some of the files aren't, and some of
the directories aren't either. Major pain in the neck to use, if you look
closer. Add extra kernel complexity. For little (if any) gain.

The gain is indeed the interesting question here. It isn't something
I desperately need. But if file-as-directory _happens_, then I hope
it'll happen in a good way. No unnecessary complications or restrictions,
and allowing existing stuff to work as well as possible. There will surely be some
tool problems - but we certainly don't need to break every existing
tool the way a new form of "open" will. . .

Helge Hafting