Re: Mouse Support in Kernel 2.6.8

From: Dinesh Ahuja
Date: Mon Sep 06 2004 - 07:25:42 EST

I have observed something which I would like to share
with you. Do we need to change XF86Config file when we
are migrating from Kernel 2.4 to 2.6.8 ?

Whenever I boot my system [ either in Kernel 2.4 or
2.6.8], I am prompt by kudzu to configure/
unconfigure the following hardware devices:

1. LGI|8051
2. Generic PS/2 Wheel Mouse

If I configure LGI|8051 only [not Generic Mouse
because If I configure Generic Mouse, then I donot get
Mouse Support in Kernel 2.4] in my Kernel 2.4, then
everything works fine and I get mouse support. But If
try to do the same thing in Kernel 2.6.8 [ i.e
configure LGI|8051 and don't configure Generic PS/2],
then my Kernel gives error in launching X Server and
error is as follows:
xf86OpenSerial can't open device /dev/ttyS1

My XF86Config contents are as follows:
# XFree86 4 configuration created by
redhat-config-xfree86

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Default Layout"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "DevInputMice" "AlwaysCore"
EndSection

Section "Files"

# RgbPath is the location of the RGB database. Note,
this is the name of the
# file minus the extension (like ".txt" or ".db").
There is normally
# no need to change the default.
# Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are
concatenated together)
# By default, Red Hat 6.0 and later now use a font
server independent of
# the X server to render fonts.
RgbPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
FontPath "unix/:7100"
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "dbe"
Load "extmod"
Load "fbdevhw"
Load "glx"
Load "record"
Load "freetype"
Load "type1"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# Specify which keyboard LEDs can be user-controlled
(eg, with xset(1))
# Option "Xleds" "1 2 3"
# To disable the XKEYBOARD extension, uncomment
XkbDisable.
# Option "XkbDisable"
# To customise the XKB settings to suit your keyboard,
modify the
# lines below (which are the defaults). For example,
for a non-U.S.
# keyboard, you will probably want to use:
# Option "XkbModel" "pc102"
# If you have a US Microsoft Natural keyboard, you can
use:
# Option "XkbModel" "microsoft"
#
# Then to change the language, change the Layout
setting.
# For example, a german layout can be obtained with:
# Option "XkbLayout" "de"
# or:
# Option "XkbLayout" "de"
# Option "XkbVariant" "nodeadkeys"
#
# If you'd like to switch the positions of your
capslock and
# control keys, use:
# Option "XkbOptions" "ctrl:swapcaps"
# Or if you just want both to be control, use:
# Option "XkbOptions" "ctrl:nocaps"
#
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "keyboard"
Option "XkbRules" "xfree86"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "Microsoft"
Option "Device" "/dev/ttyS1"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# If the normal CorePointer mouse is not a USB mouse
then
# this input device can be used in AlwaysCore mode to
let you
# also use USB mice at the same time.
Identifier "DevInputMice"
Driver "mouse"