Re: [RFC] New Time of day proposal (updated 9/2/04)

From: Ulrich Windl
Date: Mon Sep 06 2004 - 01:31:55 EST

On 3 Sep 2004 at 22:26, Dominik Brodowski wrote:

> What about removing cpu_freq_khz you have in your patch, adding a per-CPU
> value, and just use the value of the boot CPU for the other CPUs if
> !CONFIG_DIFFERENT_CPU_SPEEDS or something like that?

I would not mention SMP at that stage, but most of the existing code on IA32
suumes that all CPUs run with the same frequency. I only heared that at least on
Alphas this is not true. Probably you'll need a per-CPU state regarding time. Most
likely resulting in the "local CPU's time" and a global concept of time that
should not be in contradiction with any CPU's time. That might mean that any
process always has to query the global time, involving extra overhead.

You mentioned it...

Regards,
Ulrich