Re: Quick Syscall question

From: Neil Horman
Date: Sun Sep 05 2004 - 17:18:13 EST

Randy.Dunlap wrote:

On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 13:17:42 -0500 Eric Bambach wrote:

| Hello,
| | This may seem like a silly question, however we were all beginning | programmers once ;)
| | I want to do some manipulating of network interfaces and routing and such. I | am reading through some of the linux net sources but am confused on what are | internal, kernel-only functions and what are externally visable syscalls. How | can I tell from the source what is user-space visable that I can hook into | and what is intternel stuff? Should I just be looking at headers or do I have | to delve into the .c sources? I can do either, I just need a pointer on where | to start and what I should be looking for.

Most syscalls are listed in include/linux/syscalls.h.
Also look in include/asm-*/unistd.h.
Also in entry.S in arch/*/ (various sub-directory levels).

--
~Randy

Also, if you're looking into writing kernel modules, anything listed in arch/*ksyms.c as a symbol inside an EXPORT_SYMBOL block is accessible, although that may not mean its available from user space.
Neil

*Neil Horman
*Software Engineer
*Red Hat, Inc.