From: Spam
Date: Sun Sep 05 2004 - 07:31:57 EST

> Salut,

> On Sun, Sep 05, 2004 at 01:57:49PM +0200, Spam wrote:
>> What if I do not use emacs, but vim, mcedit, gedit, or some other
>> editor? It doesn't seem logical to have to patch every application
>> that uses files.

> We would have to do that in either case, so let's patch them to do it
> in a nonintrusive way. And as to reading and writing inside tar files,
> write and/or use a really nice userspace library to do it. (As does
> MacOS/X, as does KDE, etc.)

The problem with the userspace library is standardization. What
would be needed is a userspace library that has a extensible plugin
interface that is standardized. Otherwise we would need lots of
different libraries, and I seriously doubt that 1) this will happen
and 2) we get all Linux programs to be patched to use it.

~S