Re: NVIDIA Driver 1.0-6111 fix

From: Tim Fairchild
Date: Sat Sep 04 2004 - 17:11:33 EST

On Sunday 05 Sep 2004 07:22, Lee Revell wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-09-04 at 17:02, Tim Fairchild wrote:
> > Users don't really care about open and closed source. They just want
> > to play quake 3 (etc).
>
> I have never understood why these people don't just run Windows. I have
> also never understood why people make so much noise about having to use
> a closed source driver to play A CLOSED SOURCE GAME! What's next, a
> petition to open the UT2004 source? Sheesh...

Why not run windows? Because linux does it better. It's nice to have a few
desktops full of apps, then crank up Q3 or UT for a half hour to blow off
steam, then close it and keep using the apps you had open. Maybe XP can do
that these days, but the 9x's never could. And my son runs both XP and linux
and he claims XP can't really support as many open apps as linux does and
play a game at the same time and all the rest. I'll have to take his word
since I'm linux only these days...

>From a users point of view, linux is starting to look good at the moment. They
have a huge range of open source apps, plus they can easily run many games
either ported or through winex/wine and they can even run MS Office and so
forth through crossover/wine if they wish. They don't care about how they do
it or what licence is involved or whether it's open source or whatever. They
don't care that the video driver is closed. They certainly don't care that
MSOffice is closed source... They just know "windows sucks, I might try
linux".

tim