persistent ptys

From: Steve Underwood
Date: Sat Sep 04 2004 - 12:02:03 EST

Hi,

It seems BSD style ptys are on the way out, and most systems will soon have just Unix98 style ptys. This makes me want to move something to Unix98 ptys, but I'm not sure of the appropriate way. The issue is that things like HylaFAX expect to work with well known, persistent, names for modem ports. A 100% soft modem in user space can easily provide that with BSD ptys. With Unix98 ptys it is not so obvious what to do. Most commercial soft modems don't have this issue, as they are part kernel space/part user space designs. Obviously creating a link to a dynamically generated pty with a well known name, and various other things could be done. However, I assume other people have had to do similar persistent pty things, and there is a well defined common practice for it. Can anyone tell me what it is? :-\

Regards,
Steve