Re: New proposed DRM interface design

From: Christoph Hellwig
Date: Sat Sep 04 2004 - 05:28:01 EST

On Sat, Sep 04, 2004 at 11:23:35AM +0100, Keith Whitwell wrote:
> > Actually regulat users do. And they do by pulling an uptodate kernel or
> > using a vendor kernel with backports. This model would work for video drivers
> > aswell.
>
> Sure, explain to me how I should upgrade my RH-9 system to work on my new i915?

Download a new kernel.org kernel or petition the fedora legacy folks to
include a drm update. The last release RH-9 kernel has various security
and data integrity issues anyway, so you'd be a fool to keep running it.

> However, introducing a new binary interface isn't going to magically transform
> a fairly neglected codebase into a sparkly new one. All I can really see it
> doing is saving a few K of memory in the hetrogenous dual head case. Oh, and
> introducing a new failure mode to be debugged at a distance.

huh? it you change the ABI your modules simply won't load. that's not
exactly what I'd call debugging.