Re: New proposed DRM interface design

From: Jon Smirl
Date: Sat Sep 04 2004 - 01:07:58 EST

We're going to have to work out a GPL/BSD solution for the fbdev
merge. There are 80,000 lines of code in the fbdev directory. It is
impractical to rewrite them. It's probably also impractical to
relicense the fbdev code BSD since we would have to locate all of the
coders.

The proprietary drivers are ok. They don't have to use the GPL
DRM/fbdev code; nothing stops them from writing their own version. I
also don't see how a binary driver that links with drm_core and the
kernel is any different than one that just links to the kernel. GPL
will stop a vendor from taking the source for drm_core/lib and making
a private version. But we want to stop that.

So what do we do about FreeBSD? For example I need to bring in the I2C
and mode setting code from the GPL fbdev radeon driver into the DRM
one. I don't want to rewrite a 1,000 lines of working driver code.

How many DRM users are there on FreeBSD? I've only run into three that
I know of. I'm sure there are more but is it 1,000 people or 100,000?
I don't think DRM CVS will even compile currently on FreeBSD. I think
I broke it a week ago and no one has said anything.

Would this work? drm/shared and drm/bsd directories are BSD licensed.
drm/linux is GPL licensed. Any fbdev code I add will go into
drm/linux. Then we patch up drm/bsd so that is continues to work given
the changes in drm/linux. The other alternative is simply forking the
tree. The licenses also allow chunks of DRM to be pulled into the
fbdev directory but that's effectively a fork.

The code is starting to drift further from BSD anyway. BSD is missing
major OS features like hotplug and resource control that Linux DRM is
starting to use.

The only rational way we can fix the multiple drivers for the same
video card is to merge fbdev and DRM functions. The other solution is
device driver multi-tasking with a 256MB state to be saved on task
swap.