From: Brad Boyer
Date: Fri Sep 03 2004 - 20:12:45 EST

On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 10:48:46AM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> What I don't understand is the tie between Linux having such streams and
> Windows doing it for Samba to work. Netatalk has always handle this for
> Macintosh and portably. Presumably any Samba support would need to
> handle OS's without wacky files for portability too ?

I'm not 100% sure on the samba side, but I think there is a pretty
significant difference. On the Mac, the problem of copying forks and
metadata onto non-Mac systems was recognized early on. There are several
standard formats for serialized versions of this data. If you take the
files that netatalk writes and copy them directly to a Mac separately,
there are tools that can convert them back to the original format with
all the data intact. I've never seen such a thing for NTFS named streams.

Brad Boyer
flar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx