Re: The argument for fs assistance in handling archives

From: David Masover
Date: Fri Sep 03 2004 - 18:48:35 EST

Paul Jakma wrote:
| On Fri, 3 Sep 2004, Spam wrote:
|
|> Indeed. I hope I didn't say otherwise :).
|

| Sure.
|
|> Just that I think it will
|> be very difficult to have this transparency in all apps. Just
|> thinking of "nano file.jpg/description.txt" or "ls
|> file.tar/untar/*.doc". Sure in some environments like Gnome it could
|> work, but it still doesn't for the rest of the flora of Linux
|> programs.
|

| "will it be transparent for all apps?", whether that's worth doing
| depends on the technical implications. Thankfully we have Al and Linus
| to make the judgement call on that ;)

So far, the technical implications are mainly "does it create a serious
issue in the distant future" or "does some exotic new feature that
doesn't exist yet cause problems" and not "it's currently broken".

Right now, I can edit a file's permissions, transparently, from any app,
and I haven't noticed any stability issues at all.

| Personally, I think that if GNOME can provide transparency for GNOME
| users, I think that's probably enough - unless there are literally no
| issues in adding some kind of VFS support.

Only it can't. Especially if it's a typical GNOME user, who gets used
to having their files encrypted in foo.tar.pgp, say. Works in abiword,
works in gedit, breaks in OpenOffice. Not good.

| The nano / ls /tar user is likely a very different user to the GNOME
| user. That user is also likely to appreciate the problems with backups
| and such more.

I'm a vim/ls/tar user. And I believe the problems with backups to be
very minor. There are other issues that I don't understand as
thoroughly, so I'll leave them to Al and Linus.

| Anyway, userspace transparency is sufficient for most classes of users.
| Only reason to provide some kernel support is if it makes sense ("but
| not all apps can use GNOME transparency" not being one of those reasons).

Can you justify why "not all apps can use GNOME transparency" is not a
valid reason? Would you still think so if GNOME transparency was the
only way to read isofs?