From: Horst von Brand
Date: Fri Sep 03 2004 - 14:32:25 EST

Stuart Young <cef-lkml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:

[...]

> Hence why I was suggesting the idea of disposable data in streams. As
> long as people KNOW it's disposable, but useful to keep around as it cuts
> down the time needed to do stuff, then apps will start to pick up
> transporting streams properly. Least then (hopefully) no real information
> will get lost that is important. Once transporting streams becomes
> commonplace, then perhaps streams can be used for more useful things.

How will you prevent people putting the "real" data under some random
stream, "just because it is a prettier name"? (Yes, I've seen Windows users
exporting everything because they found the folder + hand icon
prettier...). Short answer: You can't. And if you did, then it would be
(another) hell to go through when you start using streams for "useful
data".

[...]

> The point of such information in my examples is that a stream can store
> information in a particular format (ie: an index) that is common to one
> indexing app/library.

Great. Now you just need to convince everybody and Aunt Tillie to use that
same format.

> Such an index can be used by ANY app that knows the
> index format to search the document. This is almost exactly what MS will
> do (if they haven't done it already) with the File Indexing Service. As
> it's ONE library, then any new user app that creates data can add index
> creation by adding one library. And any app that wants to search these
> indexes would need only to add one library, not every library for every
> format that it wants to search. It's essentially an n^2 vs 2n problem.

Doable if you can just go and force a format/stream layout/application
suite on each and every user. Won't happen in Linux (and I'm happy for
that).