Re: Sun DTrace equivalent for Linux?

From: Tom Zanussi
Date: Fri Sep 03 2004 - 11:58:47 EST

Robert Milkowski wrote:

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004, Jean-Eric Cuendet wrote:

Hi,
I read an article on DTrace on Solaris. It seems wonderful. Is it overrated by Sun or really an excellent tool?

It's really wonderful tool.
The more you use it the more addicted to it you are :)

Is there an equivalent tool for Linux?

Equivalent - no.

Something much more simple - yes (LTT, DProbes, ...)

Though it was meant mainly to address the specific topic of that thread, I recently posted a simple add-on to the LTT user tools that shows what can be done with the existing Linux stuff e.g. LTT and kprobes:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=109405724500237&w=2

It basically makes LTT more amenable to the type of ad-hoc experimentation people seem to like about DTrace.

Tom