Re: Re: The argument for fs assistance in handling archives (was: silent semantic changes with reiser4)

From: Jon Smirl
Date: Fri Sep 03 2004 - 10:40:26 EST

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 23:27:06 +0100, Alan Cox <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Iau, 2004-09-02 at 22:47, Jamie Lokier wrote:
> > - Can the daemon keep track of _every_ file on my disk like this?
> > That's more than a million files, and about 10^5 directories.
> > dnotify would require the daemon to open all the directories.
> > I'm not sure what inotify offers.
>
> This is currently a real issue for both desktop search and for virus
> scanners. They want a "what changed and where" system wide (or at least
> per namespace/mount).

In the database work everything is a transaction and the transactions
are logged. Reiser4 is fully atomic and logged. So to get the "what
changed and where" you just process the transaction logs from the
point of your last marked checkpoint. Hot backup db servers work this
way too by listening to the transaction log stream. You don't need a
daemon in this model.

Jon Smirl
jonsmirl@xxxxxxxxx