Re: The argument for fs assistance in handling archives

From: Spam
Date: Fri Sep 03 2004 - 05:16:51 EST

> On Thu, 2004-09-02 at 22:06 +0200, Spam wrote:
> [...]
>> The file streams would make my day a lot easier. The idea to
>> split up contents of OO.org files into streams is bad. But that
>> doesn't make the file streams bad. I see many uses that would make
>> my every day life easier.

> When can we expect patches?

>> It isn't about cross plat form compatibility, but to add features
>> that are useful and meta-data and file streams are.

> Putting everything (including web server and browser) in the kernel is
> not a good (or even desireable) target - perhaps that's the reason for
> Win* to be where there are.
> And it *is* done in user-space (ok, there more than one apprach and
> implementation but this may change. And you want to invent the next
> version.).

As I said before. It doesn't matter if it is in the kernel or user
space. Not to me at least - as long as I could use extend the usage
of my filesystem with meta-data, my own descriptions, perhaps
streams, etc in a transparent way. I do not want to be confined to
only use future Gnome apps.

>> Also. No one forces you to use either meta-data or streams, just as
>> no one forces you to use ACLs or other things.

> Which is probably an argument against such features. How long do ACLs
> exist - as well as standard and in implementation?
> How many people and/or apps are using it?
> No more questions.

>> > 3. MS does require attributes and multiple streams, which makes these
>> > features important (even essential) to Samba, and Samba alone. Samba is
>> > important to Linux, so this can't be ignored. (Here I am implicitly
>> > assuming that Samba will need kernel support for this to do it right.)
>>
>> I do not think the Samba would really require the streams support
>> but it would certainly make life easier for Samba. Not to mention
>> that these files would also be natively viewed on the Linux host.

> It is not in the interest of MSFT that their aplication's files are
> viewable on other OSes. Expect incompatible changes to formats, streams
> and metadata contents (and surely patents on them - even if the idea is
> not new) if it starts to be really useful. It happended already in the
> past with the SMB protocol IIRC ....

No perhaps. But it doesn't make a difference to the ideas of having
plugins for reiser4 that can give such features.

~S