Re: The argument for fs assistance in handling archives

From: Helge Hafting
Date: Fri Sep 03 2004 - 03:47:46 EST

Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx wrote:

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 12:02:59 +0200, Spam said:

The meta-data should be deleted if it the file is copied or moved to
a medium that doesn't support it. However a _warning_ may be shown
to the user if there is risk to loose data.

OK... I'll bite. How do you report the warning to the user if you're using
an unenhanced utility to copy a file to a file system that may be lossy?

Well, _if_ you're using my sort of file-as-dir then you'd expect a
plain "cp" to only copy the file. You'd use cp -a to copy the
file's subdirectory too. If you're copying to anther filesystem
that doesn't support file-as-directory then "cp -a" won't be able
to create a directory with the same name as the file, and
will do whatever cp does in such a situation. I.e. something like
"NAME exists but is not a directory".

Helge Hafting