Re: The argument for fs assistance in handling archives

From: Hans Reiser
Date: Fri Sep 03 2004 - 01:37:29 EST

David Masover wrote:

The use of ext3 as a filesystem isn't cross-platform. Every disk-write
is platform-specific! We should all be using captive-ntfs instead!

;-)

All this stuff about how no filesystem should be allowed to have semantic features others don't, it seems very Bolshevist to me.

Let Linux have an ecosystem with a diverse ecology of filesystems, and the features that work will reproduce to other filesystems. I thought that was the Linus way?

If not, why did I spend 10 years laying the storage layer groundwork for semantic enhancements when I could have taken that job at Sun as filesystems architect and made a lot more money?

I want to tinker. Let me play in my sandbox, and if you don't like what I do, don't imitate it..... I think there are plenty of users who like reiser4 though....

Linus, trying to outguess someone who has spent 2 decades studying namespace design as to what will be useful to users is risky. Look at reiser4's performance, see if it obsoletes V3, and if it does then let me play a bit.

Objecting on the grounds that it causes VFS bugs is reasonable, but I answered those questions and you did not respond (I can resend if asked). If you really really don't like what we do to VFS, well, we can confine ourselves to sys_reiser4(), but that is only a last resort from my view.

Hans