From: Spam
Date: Thu Sep 02 2004 - 21:18:18 EST

> On Gwe, 2004-09-03 at 00:23, Jamie Lokier wrote:
>> However, if we ever see that search engine index thing happen, it
>> would be a most excellent capability if it searched inside archive
>> files too. I would definitely use that. Not often, but occasionally I would.

> Thats an indexer decision, the search backend (which is the performance
> and complexity critical part) doesn't give a damn.

I am just talking general now, but it seems to me that there have
been many suggestions on user-land solutions like shared librares
and so forth just to say there is no need for file streams and
plugins. Many of these ideas do exist in one way or another, but
none is truly system wide and and as application independent as
file streams+plugins would be. Would it not be much less effort to
implement these in a good way, than trying to reinvent lots of new
stuff in userland - that wouldn't be systemwide anyway?

~S