Re: [patch] kernel sysfs events layer

From: Robert Love
Date: Thu Sep 02 2004 - 13:43:07 EST

On Thu, 2004-09-02 at 11:35 -0700, Daniel Stekloff wrote:

> The only problem I see is making an app sift through all of the events
> to get to a specific type of event. They'd have to parse and match the
> signal, that could be costly.

I'd hope that they were not that many events that it would ever be
costly.

But this should be mitigated by your event aggregator in user-space,
whether that is D-BUS or whatever else. If it is D-BUS, you could then
subscribe via D-BUS only to the events you care about.

> Will there be small single purpose applications listening on the netlink
> socket or off dbus for specific signals? Or do you see this mainly
> handled by a single kevent daemon?

Whatever you want to do.

I think they way we would set up our Linux desktop product would have D-
BUS listening on the kevent socket and propagating the events up the
stack (or have a separate daemon listen and funnel the events to D-BUS.
whatever).

Then applications up the stack would respond to and handle the D-BUS
signals.

Robert Love