Re: page fault scalability patch final : i386 tested, x86_64 supportadded

From: Christoph Lameter
Date: Thu Sep 02 2004 - 11:27:51 EST

Why was it done that way? Would it not be better to add the new
functionality by giving the function another name?

Like f.e. set_pte_mm()

then one could add the following in asm-generic/pgtable.h

#ifndef __HAVE_ARCH_SET_PTE_MM
#define set_pte_mm(mm, address, ptep, pte) set_pte(ptep, pte)
#endif

which would avoid having to update the other platforms and woud allow a
gradual transition.

My patch does something like that in order to avoid having to update all
arches. Arches without __HAVE_ARCH_ATOMIC_TABLE_OPS will have their
atomicity simulated via the page_table_lock.