Re: Driver retries disk errors.

From: John Stoffel
Date: Thu Sep 02 2004 - 11:09:48 EST

Alan> On Iau, 2004-09-02 at 15:30, John Stoffel wrote:
>> I really think that we need some way to keep such deadlocks from
>> happening. I really dislike having a device lockup a user application
>> so hard that it can't be exited. There's no real reason we should be
>> doing this any more. If we have to, let the user kill it and just
>> have the kernel make it into a zombie, but at least let the user kill
>> it off.

Alan> If you had to reboot file a bug, none of the block error
Alan> recovery code or below should ever hang indefinitely.

Once I can reproduce it reliably, I'll send a better report. I've
been holding off on my comments til now, but got caught up in the
moment.

I also know now that it should timeout and come back to life. I even
had a back trace on the hung process, but didn't save it. Mea cupla.