Re: [patch] kernel sysfs events layer

From: Daniel Stekloff
Date: Thu Sep 02 2004 - 07:06:47 EST

On Thu, 2004-09-02 at 01:34, Greg KH wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 31, 2004 at 06:05:24PM -0400, Robert Love wrote:
> > +int send_kevent(enum kevent type, struct kset *kset,
> > + struct kobject *kobj, const char *signal);
>
> Why is the kset needed? We can determine that from the kobject.
>
> How about changing this to:
> int send_kevent(struct kobject *kobj, struct attribute *attr);
> which just tells userspace that a specific attribute needs to be read,
> as something "important" has changed.

Do all events require an attribute? What about the "overheating"
example? Would you need an attribute or would getting a "signal" for a
specific kobj be enough?

Binding an attribute to an event would at least tell you the name of the
attribute to check. Otherwise, how does an app know the name of the
attribute that changed? Or am I missing something?

Thanks,

Dan