Re: The argument for fs assistance in handling archives

From: Giuliano Pochini
Date: Thu Sep 02 2004 - 06:08:49 EST

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004, Spam wrote:

> Well. wasn't the idea that unless programs specifically tried to
> open the file-as-dir as a directory it would look like a file?
>
> ls -F would show it as file. Or have I understood wrong?

Yes, otherwise apps that do

if (S_ISDIR()) {
..
} else if (S_ISREG()) {
..
}

would behave differently from apps that check the file in
different order, and they would probably break because in
a regular fs that order is not important. The goal is to
keep the semantic changes as hidden as possible for apps
that don't know about the new features.

--
Giuliano.