Sending siginfo from kernel to user space

From: JobHunts02
Date: Thu Sep 02 2004 - 03:33:19 EST

I am sending a signal from kernel space to user space with Linux 2.4.20-8.

In user space, I have installed a signal handler:

saio.sa_handler = signal_handler_IO;

sigemptyset(&saio.sa_mask);

saio.sa_flags = SA_SIGINFO;

saio.sa_restorer = NULL;

sigaction(SA_SIGINFO, &saio, NULL);

In kernel space:

info.si_errno = 1212;

info.si_code = SI_KERNEL;

send_sig_info(SA_SIGINFO, &info, find_task_by_pid(pid));

This results in the signal handler,

void signal_handler_IO (int status, struct siginfo *info, void *p)

being called in user space, which gives the following values in info:

info->si_signo = 4 /* corresponds to SA_SIGINFO */

info->si_errno = 0 /* expect 1212 */

info->si_code = 0 /* expect SI_KERNEL (128) */

Note that the values I put in si_errno and si_code do not get passed to the
user. si_signo has the correct value, but the user can know this from the
original sigaction call.

If instead, I call send_sig_info(SA_SIGINFO, (struct siginfo*)0,
find_task_by_pid(pid)), as expected I get:

info->si_signo = 4

info->si_errno = 0

info->si_code = 0 /* corresponds to SI_USER, as expected */

If I call send_sig_info(SA_SIGINFO, (struct siginfo*)1,
find_task_by_pid(pid)), as expected I get:

info->si_signo = 4

info->si_errno = 0

info->si_code = 128 /* corresponds to SI_KERNEL, as expected */

Apparently, there is a problem copying the info structure. I need to pass
info to the kernel. Any ideas?

Thank you.