Re: Driver retries disk errors.

From: Rogier Wolff
Date: Wed Sep 01 2004 - 19:26:58 EST

On Mon, Aug 30, 2004 at 06:17:24PM -0600, Robert Hancock wrote:
> Quite likely, in that case the drive has exhausted its spare pool, and
> there are a bunch of bad sectors that have already been reallocated. Some
> drives will reallocate sectors if they are still readable but the sector
> appears to be marginal.

I agree that this is the theory. In practise however, I've never
seen it work correctly. We've seen several disks with say 1-5 bad
blocks and nothing else, and "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/<disk>" doesn't
seem to cure them.

I know how to check SMART, and I can see that some of these disks
have NEVER reallocated a block. Stuff like that.

Roger.

** R.E.Wolff@xxxxxxxxxxxx ** http://www.BitWizard.nl/ ** +31-15-2600998 **
**** "Linux is like a wigwam - no windows, no gates, apache inside!" ****