Re: kbuild: Support LOCALVERSION

From: Ian Wienand
Date: Tue Aug 31 2004 - 20:16:15 EST

On Tue, Aug 31, 2004 at 09:26:43PM +0200, Sam Ravnborg wrote:
> The following patch combines the request from several people.
> If you place a file named localversion* in the root of your
> soruce tree or the root of your output tree the text included in this
> file will be appended to KERNELRELEASE.

With this patch *without* a localversion file I get

ianw@baci:/tmp/kbuild-test$ make
cat: /tmp/kbuild-test/localversion*: No such file or directory
make: *** No rule to make target `/tmp/kbuild-test/localversion*', needed by `include/linux/version.h'. Stop.

However, with the right files there it works as you describe.

The interaction with LOCALVERSION from the command line (i.e. make
LOCALVERSION=aversion) is still a bit funny too, since it won't cause
version.h to be rebuilt. Is it going to just be a case of "you can't
specify LOCALVERSION" from the command line?

My original patch also had a Kconfig option which would be inserted; I
figured this might be good because if you're creating a bunch of
different configs you are probably in [menu|x]config to change the
options, so it might be convenient to just set it via a string in
there. Would anyone else like to see that?

-i