Re: [BENCHMARK] nproc: Look Ma, No get_tgid_list!

From: William Lee Irwin III
Date: Tue Aug 31 2004 - 19:32:44 EST

On Tue, Aug 31, 2004 at 05:34:32PM +0200, Roger Luethi wrote:
> This posting demonstrates a new method of monitoring all processes in
> a large system.
> You may remember what a /proc based tool does when monitoring some
> 10^5 processes -- it spends its time in the kernel hanging on to a
> read task_list_lock:
> ==> 10000 processes: top -d 0 -b > /dev/null <==
> CPU: CPU with timer interrupt, speed 0 MHz (estimated)
> Profiling through timer interrupt
> samples % image name symbol name
> 35855 36.0707 vmlinux get_tgid_list
> 9366 9.4223 vmlinux pid_alive
> 7077 7.1196 libc-2.3.3.so _IO_vfscanf_internal
> 5386 5.4184 vmlinux number
> 3664 3.6860 vmlinux proc_pid_stat
[...]

The most crucial issue for larger systems is removing the rather easily
triggerable rwlock starvation. Perhaps dipankar's /proc/ -only tasklist
RCU patch can resolve that.

On Tue, Aug 31, 2004 at 05:34:32PM +0200, Roger Luethi wrote:
> Here's a profile for an nproc based tool monitoring the same set
> of processes:
> ==> 10000 processes: nprocbench <==
> CPU: CPU with timer interrupt, speed 0 MHz (estimated)
> Profiling through timer interrupt
> samples % app name symbol name
> 8641 24.8626 vmlinux __task_mem
> 2778 7.9931 vmlinux find_pid
> 2536 7.2968 vmlinux finish_task_switch
> 1872 5.3863 vmlinux netlink_recvmsg
> 1637 4.7101 vmlinux nproc_pid_fields
[...]
> Resource usage is now dominated by field computation, rather than by
> delivery overhead. By now it should be clear that nproc is not only a
> cleaner interface with lower overhead for tools, it also scales a lot
> better than /proc.

With this in hand we can probably ignore the /proc/ -related efficiency
issues in favor of any method preventing the rwlock starvation, e.g.
dipankar's /proc/ -only tasklist RCU patch.

-- wli