From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Aug 31 2004 - 16:33:46 EST

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004, Frank van Maarseveen wrote:

> There is nothing in the networking or UNIX standards that prescibe another
> protection domain for this. Would be insane to leave that out in a hosted
> environment but it _can_ be done without.

My point is that TCP _does_ have a lot of state that needs to be handled
in a safe manner by a proper operating system.

The fact that there are OS's out there that are crap doesn't change that
matter. There are lots of embedded OS's out there that still do
multitasking in a purely cooperative way. I don't think it's a valid model
for anything but toys. Same goes for putting TCP in user space. It's
doable, but it's not an "OS". It's a program loader.

Linus