Re: silent semantic changes in reiser4 (brief attempt to document the idea of what reiser4 wants to do with metafiles and why

From: Tonnerre
Date: Tue Aug 31 2004 - 14:27:52 EST

Salut,

On Tue, Aug 31, 2004 at 08:17:36PM +0200, Spam wrote:
> How are things done on Windows platforms when there are files and
> directories with the same name? In Unix that is imposible. How does
> it work for environments like Cygwin etc? What happen to tools
> that run in them?

In NTFS it's illegal IIRC. At least the fs correction utilities
complain about a block being assigned to two files.

Same with HFS+.

Sometimes there seem to be several things with the same name. But
that's because of hidden extensions (.lnk for example).

I'm talking out of the book here, maybe the real-world implementations
of Windows are different. I can't tell, I only used Windows once to
ssh into a screwed-up router.

Tonnerre