Re: [patch] libata: add ioctls to support SMART

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Tue Aug 31 2004 - 03:58:13 EST

Prakash K. Cheemplavam wrote:

| John W. Linville wrote:
| | Support for HDIO_DRIVE_CMD and HDIO_DRIVE_TASK in libata. Useful for
| | supporting SMART w/ unmodified smartctl and smartd userland binaries.
~ > I just tried to give it a go with libata from 2.6.9-rc1. I had to fix
| one rejects but the patching seemed to go fine beside that. Nevertheless
| after a boot with patched libata I get:
|
| smartctl -a /dev/sda
[snip]

| Device does not support SMART

Just wanted

Just wanted to say that smartctl -a -d ata /dev/sda works, as John
Linville and now Bruce aLlen suggested to try.

As I noted in another email, be careful... that patch bypasses the SCSI command synchronization, so you could potentially send a SMART command to the hardware while another command is still in progress.

Jeff