From: Hans Reiser
Date: Tue Aug 31 2004 - 01:56:21 EST

David Masover wrote:

And I did mention before about how it'd be nice for it to be an fs chunk...

Please define fs chunk. My mind has an open door.;-)

Imagine 5000 tiny little files that, by the time reiser's done with
them, fit inside 5 blocks or so. It's insanely cheaper to copy the five
blocks than to tar them up. It also means that we don't have to worry
about supporting tar on other platforms -- if they don't have reiser4,
they need a separate converter. If apps are going to use reiser4
metadata for anything significant, they probably would link against some
sort of userland implementation of reiser4 as a Windows library, say, to
access the files elsewhere.

That's extreme, but you get the idea.