Re: TCP Window Scaling problem with buggy routers FIX works

From: Stephen Hemminger
Date: Mon Aug 30 2004 - 15:28:45 EST

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 13:00:37 +0200
Maciej Soltysiak <solt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am just letting you guys know that the fix for
> tcp window scaling problem with buggy routers works.

As mentioned in the patch to automatically manage tcp window
scale size. This was an (mostly unwanted) side-effect.

> There were people (including me) reporting that tcp traffic
> through some buggy (eg. cisco) routers in linux-2.6.8 slows
> down to a crawl.

Find and fix the problem. It may come back.

> A workaround was to zero tcp_window_scaling sysctl knob.
>
> With this patch:
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.5/testing/cset/cset-shemminger@xxxxxxxx|ChangeSet|20040826205608|22084.txt
>
> sitting in 2.6.9-rc1 BK repository the linux box can have
> fast transfers again.
>
> Note that they are not that fast as with tcp_window_scaling disabled.
> But they are certainly fast and will not cause problems like
> ssh sessions hangning, etc.

That is because every time the linux box says the window size is N.
The other side is thinking the window is N/4 because the router in
the middle corrupted the initial connection requuest.

> Thanks for the workaround for buggy routers netdev!

Don't expect the default Linux kernel configuration to work
on broken networks.

--
Stephen Hemminger mailto:shemminger@xxxxxxxx
Open Source Development Lab http://developer.osdl.org/shemminger