Re: submitting kernel patch for 3w-9xxx in 2.4

From: Matti Aarnio
Date: Mon Aug 30 2004 - 13:56:39 EST

On Sun, Aug 29, 2004 at 02:35:47PM -0700, Joel Jaeggli wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Aug 2004, Matti Aarnio wrote:
> >On Sun, Aug 29, 2004 at 10:51:31AM -0700, James Colannino wrote:
> >>Everyone,
> >>
> >>I've created a kernel patch for 2.4.27 that adds the newer 3w-9xxx 3Ware
> >>driver (for the 3Ware 9000 series of controllers). If anyone here is
> >>interested, I can patch the latest pre-release for 2.4.28 and submit it
> >>to the list. Just let me know.
> >>
> >>http://james.colannino.org/downloads/patches/3w-9xxx-2.4.27.diff
> >
> >May I suggest you don't use triple-x in its name.
> >Such causes indigestion by several spam filters that people have
> >deployed... (The aic7xxx as prime example.)
>
> got another identifier that would indicate a presence of a variable that
> won't have some other meaning to a filesystem or user? #### ???? *

No idea about that, but every time somebody reports problems with
the AIC7XXX driver with either in all uppercase, or lowercase
name in message subject, a dozen or so linux-kernel recipient systems
do react adversely with something like "keep your spam".

For number wildcarding, "N" is usable in some cases.
e.g. 3w-9nnn

I do urge you to consider rewriting configuration options, and file
names so that triple-x doesn't appear in them.

Both for 2.4 and 2.6 kernels, as well.

> >>James
> >
> >/Matti Aarnio

/Matti Aarnio