Re: Celistica with AMD chip-set

From: Arthur Perry
Date: Mon Aug 30 2004 - 13:40:59 EST

Richard,

Look, I think you are taking this the wrong way.
I am not trying to banter you, I was just advising caution in
the manner which this "fix" was being implemented.
Perhaps I did not understand exactly how you were trying to implement it.

I apologise if I had belittled you in any way, as this was not my
intention. I know I sound somewhat caustic at times, but that is just my
writing style. I am not out to publicly humiliate you.
I do think however, that your response was rather unprofessional.

My argument was simply that I don't believe that we should have the kernel
set this prefetch register up, just because it is an 8131, or just because
it is a "Celestica" server.
Just because it works better for your card, does not mean it won't have
any kind of performance hit for other people's cards.
What would you do if this change was put into the kernel, assuming this
should be set, then down the line someone discovers that they have to set
it the other way to negate your change. I would think that would be rather
embarrasing.

I am just trying to take the more conservative approach and with testing,
determine if this is indeed the correct fix.

In the meantime, a simple 5-10 line shell script launched at boot time
could even provide the immediate "fix" that everyone is looking for.

And I do think you took that email from Celestica too personally.
I believe the intention of getting the source code was not to see if you
screwed up, but rather get the source needed to compile for different
platforms. I think we were only supplied with a 32 bit Fedora OS
from you guys, and whatever came on it, to test with.

Now if you don't mind, I think it would be in both of our best interest to
take the rest of this offline, seeing that things are getting as heated,
and there may be little value in this to the rest of the Linux
community at this phase.

Thanks.

Best Regards,
Art Perry