Re: [ANNOUNCE] linux-libc-headers 2.6.8.1

From: Albert Cahalan
Date: Mon Aug 30 2004 - 08:39:13 EST

Erik Andersen writes:
> On Sun Aug 29, 2004 at 10:32:13PM +0200, Mariusz Mazur wrote:

>> Nothing special, really. One bigger change - on archs that
>> have >1 possible page sizes (PAGE_SIZE definition in asm/page.h)
>> we're now using a call to libc's getpagesize(), so don't count
>> on it being static on archs like ia64.
>
> I really do not like this change. Since PAGE_SIZE has always
> been a constant, the change you have made is likely to break a
> fair amount of code, basically any code doing stuff like:
>
> static int* foo[PAGE_SIZE];

SuSE has already done this, so it's nothing new.

> Your change will result in cryptic errors such as
>
> "error: variable-size type declared outside of any function"
> "error: storage size of `foo' isn't constant"

You'll get a line number too. At least it's a compile-time
error, instead of a quiet data-corrupting run-time error.

> depending on whether the declaration is outside a function or in one.
> I think it would be much better to either
>
> a) remove PAGE_SIZE or make using it an error somehow,

Nope. That breaks more code than necessary.

> b) make PAGE_SIZE an install time config option

Nope. Executables need to run on multiple kernels.

> c) declare that on architectures such as mips that support
> variable PAGE_SIZE values, the libc kernel headers shall
> always provide the largest fixed size value of PAGE_SIZE

Nope. This is silent data corruption.

You'll break stuff like this: P_rss *= (PAGE_SIZE/1024);