Re: [patch] voluntary-preempt-2.6.8.1-P9 : a few submillisecond latencies

From: P.O. Gaillard
Date: Mon Aug 30 2004 - 04:53:09 EST

Hello,

here are a few submillisecond latencies.

First, the lspci of the machine (which is different from the one I just posted about).
http://po.gaillard.free.fr/latency/dell.lspci-v.txt

First, the 3c59x Ethernet card seems to cause 450us latencies :
http://po.gaillard.free.fr/latency/latency_bt.3c59x.txt
http://po.gaillard.free.fr/latency/latency_trace.3c59x.txt

Then the e1000 driver seems to cause 200us latencies :
http://po.gaillard.free.fr/latency/latency_bt.e1000_stats.txt
http://po.gaillard.free.fr/latency/latency_trace.e1000_stats.txt

Since the other machine with an Intel e1000 controller, shows a twice smaller latency, I post its lpsci entry for the controller (note that latency is twice smaller) :
02:0a.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corp. 82541EI Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Copper)
Subsystem: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 1213
Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 22
Memory at f2000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
I/O ports at b400 [size=64]
Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2
Capabilities: [e4] PCI-X non-bridge device.

and thank you to Ingo for the speedy response to the console issue. I applied the patch and the kernel is compiling.

P.O. Gaillard