From: Spam
Date: Sun Aug 29 2004 - 11:18:17 EST

> Spam <spam@xxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
>> Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxx> said:

> [...]

>> > For example, some image file formats already support embedded metadata, do
>> > they not?

>> Yes, JPEG, TIFF and PNG files for example. But, if you modify any of
>> these with an application that doesn't support the extensions then
>> you will loose them.

> As you will each time you muck around with your files-are-directories.
> Nothing new there.

>> Also, you are thinking _very_ narrowly now. There are thousands of
>> file formats. Implementing the support for meta-data/ streams/
>> attributes in the kernel will make it possible to use this
>> generically for all files.

> So the _kernel_ has to know about thousands of formats, just in case it
> some blue day it comes across a strange file? Better leave that to the
> applications.

No, not at all. The only think the kernel would need to support is
the actual meta files and streams - not the contents of the streams.
That is up to the applications to know and use.

The idea with plugins to reiser4 would allow someone to create a
plugin that would export the thumbnails from TIFF and JPEG images as
separate streams.

> You will _not_ be able to define a single format for extra data about the
> file, there will be differing extra data for different users (do you
> suggest a root-only file with special writable pouches for "graphical icon
> for the file" for each user on the system?!), so the idea in itself is
> doomed from the start.

We do not need to define a single format. You are locking yourself
to the contents of streams and meta files.

If someone likes the idea of a plugin that would allow for icons
then that may be it. It would be up to application developers to
know about this and use it. Perhaps they could agree on a standard
even.
>> I use this in Windows quite much.

> Then use it and be happy. No need to screw up Linux for that.

This wouldn't screw anything up besides allowing for extending the
functionality. There is noone that forces you to enable and instll
plugins, use extra attributes or meta info. All of this always was
optional (as I see it).

>> I put information description
>> fields for lots of different files. These descriptions are then
>> searchable etc. I could use the command prompt to copy the files and
>> the descriptions would still be there.

> The descriptions might make sense to _you_, _now_. No guarantee they make
> any sense (or are in the least useful) for other users on your system, and
> I might want them in arabic or some such. The descriptions might make no
> sense to you in a couple of years.

So? The same may be for your own word documents etc. It doesn't mean
I do not find it useful now, or that anyone else might not. Shall we
not include features because "someone" on the same system may not
use it? Seems very backward to me.

If I include a filestream, description.xml, then that wouldn't
affect anyone. I would know how to read the file, and that would be
enough.

>> Secondly, do you expect file managers like Nautilus and Konqueror to
>> support every piece of file format on the planet so they could read
>> information directly from the documents?

> That's their (self-selected) job, yes.

Yes and no. I used them as example but there are lots of other
programs that can access files. Midnight commander, cp, tar, email
programs and lots of others.

besides, I think it would be easier for them to 1) write plugins and
2) just use normal file access method to provide the extra data to
the users.