Re: reiser4 plugins

From: Hans Reiser
Date: Sat Aug 28 2004 - 16:47:28 EST

I think it is reasonable to make the -nopseudos (turns off the metafiles ) mount option mandatory, until the bugs are resolved.

Our testing did not find these metafile/VFS bugs because of the reason for all our bugs, we screwed up.

There is a distinct difference between some persons and I, which is that some think all of reiser4 should be excluded until metafiles are implemented by VFS some long time from now, and I, in that I merely think buggy optional features should be turned off until they are fixed. I, being renowned for my paranoia and asininity as I am, think these persons find it convenient as an excuse to keep us from competing, and I think that if we were slower there would be less hassle every time we try to get into the kernel.

While reiser4 has some significant roughnesses remaining in its performance, I think the average user would find it performs better than other filesystems, and is stable enough for, say, a laptop, and I predict that by the time we have it stable enough for mission critical servers, all the roughness in various important corner cases will be gone.

Persons benchmarking it with tarballs, please be sure to use tarballs created on reiser4, not ext2 tarballs, readdir order matters a lot for sorted directory filesystems.

Hans