2.6.9-rc1 bk-current v2 mount "stale file handle" problems

From: Kevin P. Fleming
Date: Sat Aug 28 2004 - 14:48:19 EST

I just upgraded two of my boxes here to 2.6.9-rc1 pulled from BitKeeper a few hours ago. One of them is my NFS server, using the kernel NFS daemon and serving XFS filesystems. The other is an NFS root client, using the kernel's autoconfiguration and NFS root mounting (using all default mount options).

After booting the NFS client, I had very strange behavior when creating symlinks on the NFS root if the link target path began with '.'. Just this sequence:

# mkdir foo
# cd foo
# ln -sf . test1
# ln -sf . test2

Would result in a successfully created link but an error message from ln reporting "stale NFS file handle".

Switching the NFS root client's mount to v3 from v2 seems to have avoided the problem.