Re: faster via/centaur hw rng throughput patch for 2.6.8.1

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Fri Aug 27 2004 - 16:28:41 EST

Martin Peck wrote:
On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 15:13:28 -0400, Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Honestly I would rather just remove the VIA support from the kernel
completely: it belongs in the userspace rngd

this sounds like a better solution to me as well. is there anything
that uses /dev/hwrandom which might be affected?

I'll answer the question that your question raises :)

I don't want to remove VIA support from hw_random the instant that support is added to rngd.

Rather, that would be the first step in phasing VIA RNG support out of the kernel. The second step would be printing a one-time warning, noting the VIA support is deprecated, and that we will not be adding any code it. The third step, probably when 2.7 opens, is to then remove the VIA support from hw_random.

I've been meaning to do this for a while, wanna volunteer? ;-)

i can poke at it; be careful what you wish for!

hehe :)

Jeff