Re: kernel 2.6.8 pwc patches and counterpatches

From: Wouter Van Hemel
Date: Fri Aug 27 2004 - 07:45:45 EST

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004, Miles Bader wrote:

How about asking the companies which are churning out products with
secret proprietary interfaces and half-assed broken windows/intel-only
drivers to explain _themselves_ to your girlfriend?

Because they made a driver (or at least aided in the development by supplying some information) that works. Which is more than can be said of other webcam producing companies. Also note that a big part of their driver actually is opensource.

After all, you gave them your money, and still they're screwing you.
Pretty inexcusable if you ask me.

That's true, but at least with this Philips driver I was only half screwed for using Linux. It worked. And I refuse to tell people around me that I can't install a webcam because Linux doesn't support it. And I'll be damned if I install windows just to get a little webcam working.

I at least understand your reasoning, since I am familiar with and respect opensource principles, but no sane non-opensource person will say: "Oh, I'd really like to have a webcam, but hey, I run Linux..." I might be fanatical enough to deny myself any non-opensource friendly hardware, but this reasoning does not fly with other people around me. I might swallow and send an angry letter to the company, but my girlfriend would install Windows and get on with her life. Which is why it's so damn important that Linux supports at least some of these devices people can actually buy.