From: David Greaves
Date: Fri Aug 27 2004 - 05:46:57 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004, Martin J. Bligh wrote:

I think what you're saying is that they'd both return positive, right?

No. I'd say that a file would look like a file, even if it has attributes.

It wouldn't show as a directory at all - unless you start looking at attributes. Because it really _is_ a file, and it's "directory aspect" is really nothing but a way to make its named streams visible.

So you really should consider it a perfectly regular file, and so only S_ISREG() will return true, and S_ISDIR() will return false.

ie, logically:

S_ISREG() no longer precludes O_DIRECTORY from succeeding
conversley
O_DIRECTORY succeeding no longer implies S_ISDIR()

However, apps making those assumptions will not notice new behaviour.

?

David