From: Hans Reiser
Date: Fri Aug 27 2004 - 03:12:47 EST

Christophe Saout wrote:

Am Donnerstag, den 26.08.2004, 15:26 -0400 schrieb Lee Revell:

Well, in V4, you can easily compose a plugin from plugin methods of other plugins, write a little piece of code with the one thing you want different, and add it in. Disk format changes, no big deal, add a new disk format plugin, or a new item plugin, or a new node plugin, etc., and you got your new format.

OK, real world example. My roommate has an AKAI MPC-2000, a very
popular hardware sampler from the 90's. The disk format is known,there
are a few utilities to edit the disks on a PC and extract the PCM
samples, but there are no tools to mount it on a modern PC. Are you
saying that, since I know the MPC disk format, I could write a reiser4
plugin to mount an MPC drive?

No, the underlying storage must be a reiser4-like tree.

Not necessarily. We just encourage it.... Reiser4 is a body of code that can be sliced and diced as you choose, and it is designed for easy slicing.

If you want to
mount an MPC drive, write an MPC filesystem.

However, this last sentence is probably sensible advice. A mount point is probably the right interface from reiser4 for what you want.