Re: 2.6.9-rc1-mm1

From: Nuno Silva
Date: Thu Aug 26 2004 - 19:49:23 EST

Con Kolivas wrote:
Martin J. Bligh wrote:

[..]

Yup. I can open a large 8Mpixel camera image in "display" and hang the whole
system for about 30s too ;-(

Congrats! 8MP camera! :-)

If you're talking about using the embedded image viewer in kde, that spins on wait and wastes truckloads of cpu (a perfect example of poor coding). Try loading it an external viewer and it will be 1000 times faster. If you're talking about it keeping the disk too busy on the other hand, that's I/O scheduling.

The question is: "can a poorly coded app hang the system for 30secs?"

That's a DoS ;-)

Regards,
Nuno Silva