Re: kernel argument list too long

From: Arthur Perry
Date: Thu Aug 26 2004 - 13:08:13 EST

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004, Mauricio R. Perez - Centro de Computos wrote:

> Kernel limitation of argument list it's a problem, not for things I do, else
> is for things that others do, i "need" to compile aubit4gl, but configure
> gives me Argument List Too long, and I need to have more memory for
> arguments, how can y solve this?
> kernel: 2.6.7
> gcc: 3.3.2
>
> Thanks
>
> -

Hi Mauricio,

Here is a canned answer to that age-old question:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-fileutils/2001-10/msg00048.html

Now in your case, I would find some way to get configure to do what you want it to without that long argument list.
Maybe you can find some files to modify manually to "hard code" your options in the tree of aubit4gl.
Perhaps there are a few Makefile variables that can be hardcoded.
I probably would not bother recompiling the kernel in order to get a larger environment space just to pass this huge tank of a command line for a single build.

Arthur Perry
Linux Systems/Software Architect
Lead Linux Engineer