From: Felipe Alfaro Solana
Date: Thu Aug 26 2004 - 09:48:09 EST

On Thursday 26 August 2004 16:00, Denis Vlasenko wrote:

> I think Hans is not planning turning old "file is a stream of bytes"
> into eight-stream octopus. One stream will remain as a 'main' one,
> which contains actual data. Others will keep metadata, etc...
>
> Note that even today's files aren't simple "streams of bytes"
> because they also have names,mode bits etc.

This is just exactly how NTFS does work: there's an unnamed stream (which is
the one that the majority of userspace programs do manipulate) which contains
the user data (the pixels from a PMG image, or text from a text file, etc.),
and there are named streams which not all kind of applications do know how to
handle.