Re: [linux-usb-devel] Re: kernel 2.6.8 pwc patches and counterpatches

From: Tuukka Toivonen
Date: Thu Aug 26 2004 - 07:18:39 EST

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004, Oliver Neukum wrote:

Am Donnerstag, 26. August 2004 11:22 schrieb Tuukka Toivonen:
Besides, format conversions _are not allowed_ in the kernel. They belong
into userspace.
Well, there's no need to be dogmatic about it. In a basic sense any driver
is performing a format conversion.

Well, it is possible that user applications get exactly the same bytes/bits
that the hardware generates, isn't that the case with most formats with common TV cards (bttv)? So I'm not sure why you say any driver does format conversions?

I find it rather confusing that some things are allowed in kernel while some not. Think about color balancing. This is image processing that I'm sure would be objected in the kernel, while it is mandatory to get useful colors from some cameras.

Something like picking up the image data from received USB packets and copying into image buffer, I don't consider that format conversion as long as no arithmetic operations are performed with the data.

And yeah, I do think that all of the arithmetic on the data should be done in userspace libraries, always. I'm just waiting until there is one common such library.

Legally of course the license has been given and cannot unilaterally be
revoked.

The GPL is an unilateral permission from author, and legally I don't know a rule which would prevent revocing it, because (usually) nobody has paid to obtain it. But IANAL, so I'll drop this subject now.

But his name is on the driver and he gets the mails about it.

Well, the name could be prepended with a text explaining that Nemosoft does not maintain the code.