From: Andrew Morton
Date: Thu Aug 26 2004 - 05:43:52 EST

Spam <spam@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> Yes, for example documents, image files etc. The multiple data
> >> streams can contain thumbnails, info about who is editing the file
> >> (useful for networked files) etc. Could be used for version handling
> >> and much more.
>
> > All of which can be handled in userspace library code.
>
> > What compelling reason is there for doing this in the kernel?
>

> Because having user space tools and code will make it not work with
> everything. Keeping stuff in the kernel should make the new features
> transparent to the applications.
>
> Applications that support the new features will benefit, all others
> will continue to work without destroying data.

Sorry, but that all sounds a bit fluffy. Please provide some examples.

(Generally, getting all of userspace to agree on a particular library is
socially hard [*], but I don't see that as a reason for putting the
functionality into the kernel)

[*] Example: where's the library to manipulate /etc/whatever.conf? [**]

[**] yes, I know about gconf.