Re: PATCH: cdrecord: avoiding scsi device numbering for ide devices

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Wed Aug 25 2004 - 13:30:30 EST

Doug Maxey wrote:
On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 16:25:17 EDT, Bill Davidsen wrote:

permission to open. This allows the admin to put in any filter desired,
know about vendor commands, etc. It also allows various security
setups, the group can be on the user (trusted users) or on a setgid
program (which limits the security issues).

Down such path lies madness :) This list would have to be maintained for
most every model, of every drive, for every manufacturer. The list could
conceivably change weekly, if not sooner. This could change, of course, if
the use of linux would become as ubiquitous as the dominant redmond produnt, and the manufacturers would supply the "mini-port" driver bits, as it were.

The theory is wonderful. Until there is enough "clout" to change the manufacturers participation, it is probably futile. :-/

But you don't need magic vendor commands to read and write disk (or tape), you can do it with the base commands defined in SCSI-II. You only need filter lists for special cases where (a) you really do want vendor commands and (b) there's some reason to allow this to normal users.

I doubt that you need magic for any of the other obvious devices like SCSI scanners, ZIP and LS120 drives using ATA access rather than ide-floppy or ide-scsi, etc. I could be wrong on scanners, the setup commands may be more dangerous than I think.

To write CD unfortunately does seem to take more than I want the average user to do.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)