Re: Production comparison between 2.4.27 and 2.6.8.1

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Tue Aug 24 2004 - 21:29:12 EST

Massimo Cetra wrote:
Nick Piggin wrote:

Is this issue being analyzed ?
Should we hope in an improvement sometime?
Or I'll have to use 2.4 to have good performance ?

You booted with elevator=deadline and things still didn't improve though, correct? If so, then the problem should be found and fixed.

Yes, that's correct.
Thanks. I'll try next versions of kernel.
I dont think 2.8.9-RC1 includes something regarding this issue.

OK, can you try testing different values of
/sys/block/???/queue/read_ahead_kb

and

/sys/block/???/queue/nr_requests

You should set '???' for all disks involved.

First, try setting read_ahead_kb to 0, then 256.
If those values don't change anything, set nr_requests to 1024.